Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Take a left at Albuquerque & a right at Archeology

So the other day on "The Show", Zefrank compared college majors to cities. Naturally this intrigued me, so I wrote this response on his forum.

Welcome to History.

It's a nice town. Most everyone here is friendly and eager to help each other out. Sure you have the occasional idiot or weirdo but on the whole we are a fairly intelligent bunch. We don't have the competitiveness of Business Administration, or the sterile feeling of some of the Sciences. WE tend to be a fairly laid back lot, not real forward looking all of the time. Some have accused the town of being a little more liberal or even plain Marxist, but I've found we tend to be pretty even handed politically.

What do I do here? Haha...I don't actually WORK in History. I just live here. Very few people WORK in History. Think of us as a very large suburb. I commute over to Information Technology every day for work. Sure the commute is longer than most people's but the pay is much better, and I don't mind the traffic. Plus the standard of living over here is much less expensive.

Now there are some downsides. A lot of residents get caught up in minutiae and details. Some miss the big picture, while others tend to forget the details. Then there are some neighborhoods that are only concerned about rote memorization (I'd stay out of there, especially after dark!). What neighborhood do I live in? Military history. It's a little rougher than most, pretty conservative (I'm an anomaly) but I try to love my neighbors, the best I can.

Oh... one more downside. There is no fashion industry, whatsoever. Same thing with malls and typical suburban shopping. Ton of antiquing, however.

So why did I chose to live here of all places? It's always where I've wanted to live. It's what I'm passionate about and quite frankly I'm more comfortable here than anywhere else. Sure I lived in English and RTVF for a while, (I even had a double-major vacation home in Film Studies for a while) but I kept on dreaming of my perfect little home in History.

Well my friend, if you're thinking about moving to our little burg, just let me know. I'd be glad to show you around some more. It's really a fun place. Just don't expect to earn a great living here.
So, tell me about your city.

4 Comments:

At 9/20/2006 8:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My city is Music Town, and I live on Church Street. We have issues with egos in our town and the podiatrists here make lots of money. (you know... toes get stepped on).

 
At 9/22/2006 11:32 PM, Blogger JR said...

Um... You spelled Archaeology wrong... Sorry, but that's my town. We like to look at other people's trash. That's just how we roll.

 
At 9/24/2006 5:09 PM, Blogger sdkdfhlkjh said...

'...Double-major vacation home...' Comedy Gold, my frien'. Comedy Gold indeed.

 
At 9/25/2006 3:23 PM, Blogger Jack said...

But at least I spelled Albuquerque right...i think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home