Monday, January 22, 2007

Be seeing you!

I quit my job last Thursday.
I've been thinking about all the reasons why in particular I quit. They range from the fact that my boss was uncommunicative and breathtakingly dense, to the fact that he brought in a consultant who did nothing but insult me. (at one point she called me dense. I think she did this because she didn't understand the answer I had just given her.)

I also realize that you're getting this story from my perspective a la Rashomon.
But the fact of the matter is that when you're in a job where your boss will not talk to you, doesn't listen to what you say, and will not follow your advice, then it's probably time to quit.

I admit I probably could have handled it better. Instead of walking into his office and handing him my resignation at the end of the day, I should have given him 2 weeks notice. The fact of the matter is that 2 weeks notice wouldn't have helped me any other than another pay check and it would have made the last two weeks of the job a living hell. (well more so than it was anyway.) And the fact of the matter is even if we had left on good terms I wouldn't want any perspective employers talking to bosstypeperson. They would realize that he was a complete imbecile and would wonder why I worked for him as long as I did.

I did have a little fun with my resignation letter. Being a big fan of The Prisoner I typed on to a single sheet of paper the word "RESIGNED" and put the penny-farthing logo from the show below it. I realize he'll never get the reference, but the idea made me chuckle.

4 Comments:

At 1/22/2007 6:20 PM, Blogger Elaine said...

Ok, Jack. I am the 2nd subscriber to your blog's RSS feed. Now, please show Amy how to add a feed to her blog.

Bloglines will be happy.

Elaine Dowling

 
At 1/23/2007 6:33 AM, Blogger Jack said...

Will do.

 
At 1/25/2007 5:19 AM, Blogger Amy Stewart said...

Elaine - it's done. I figured it out last night.
amy :)

 
At 4/11/2007 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feels so great to be out of there eh? I broke out in hives my last day because I was so stressed! Glad you're doing well! - Becki

 

Post a Comment

<< Home